There are some days when the weather during the day is extremely hot while the weather during the night is extremely cold. On such days, we have to change our air conditioners’ temperature drastically to keep ourselves comfortable and cozy.
However, many people worry that such fluctuating changes can cause harm or damage to the air conditioner. Though this is a myth. You can switch between the AC and heater; this will not cause any harm to the system. If your HVAC system is damaged and you are looking for a company in Utah, contact Luna Heating and Air Conditioning, the best air conditioner repair, Roy, UT.
But there are some points that you should keep in mind while switching between the two. Remembering these points will ensure that you or your system do not suffer in any way.
- Do not set your thermostat manually. Set your thermostat to ‘auto’ It will ensure that once the house’s temperature reaches a specific point, the system will turn off on its own. Keeping the thermostat ‘on’ will keep the system running even when not needed, and switching it off will increase the overall temperature. ‘Auto’ is the best setting when you cannot decide the temperature of the thermostat.
- The Department of Energy suggests that in winters, keep the temperature at 68 degrees Fahrenheit when you are in the house and lower when you are asleep or away. In summers, keep the temperature at 78 degrees Fahrenheit when you are in the home and higher when you are away. These two are the optimal temperatures to ensure that your electricity bill stays within your budget.
- Ensure that the system has completed its current cycle when you switch between the AC and heater. Switching between the two while the current cycle is undergoing can damage the system and cause a hike in your electricity bill. Wait for the cycle to end, switch off the thermostat, wait for 5-10 minutes and then change the system.
- Your system will consume a lot of electricity while switching between the two because the temperature gap is more. Try to keep the temperature gap as low as possible so that the system consumes less electricity.
- While changing the mode, change the thermostat gradually by increasing or decreasing a few degrees at a time. Do not change the temperature quickly. Let the system and your house adjust to the change of systems so that less electricity is consumed and the system is not damaged.
It is perfectly fine to switch between your AC and heater on days with abnormal weather conditions, but you should take some precautions while doing so.
If your system has faced some damage, visit Luna Heating and Air Conditioning, the best AC repair, Roy, UT company. They have trained staff with years of experience. Their excellent services will ensure that all your system’s issues will be resolved and will not happen again.